Monday 2 March 2015

Gold leaf and feather garland - DIY

 
Following on from my previous post here is my first DIY craft post. I am starting off with an easy DIY activity, a whimsical feather and gold leaf garland. Really all my DIY craft activities will be easy because ease is what I am partial too. I'll walk through step by step how to make this sweet piece inspired by the beautiful garlands featured in my previous post.

Materials: Gold spray paint, skeleton leaves, feathers of your colour choice, decorative string, and craft glue.

Preparation: Before we make the feather garland we need to transform the skeleton leaves into gold leaves using the gold spray paint. The skeleton leaves can be found in the craft section of Kmart and most craft shops. These leaves are soft and breezy, perfect for an autumn decoration and the gold complements the soft pink and blue tones of the feathers I am using.
 
Tip: When spraying the leaves you will need to secure them as the leaves are so light the force of the spray blows them away. I held them by the tip while spraying but you may find a better solution.
 
 

Before

After

Now that the leaves are prepared we will set-up the rest of the materials ready to go. Cut the string to your desired length, I am using two metres worth. Work out what pattern you are going to use for your garland. I am selecting, pink feather, gold leaf, blue feather, gold leaf, repeat.
 
 

Make a loop, poke the feather stem through and pull tight. Allow three fingers lengths and make your next loop, poke the stem of the leaf through and pull tight. Repeat. It's as simple as that.
 
Note: You can use any spacing that you desire as long as it's consistent.



Keep going until you have made the garland to the length that you would like. Use a touch of craft glue at each knot to secure the feathers and leaves in their place.


Place your garland proudly on display in a space of your choice where it can add colour, softness and sweetness to a room. Here are two garland examples from my daughter's room.



If you have fallen in love with this prettiness but don't have the time or inclination to make your own, head over to my instagram account, @shelladores to find out how you can win one for yourself!
 
Keep following Shell Adores for more easy DIY craft activity in future posts.
 
 




1 comment:

  1. My most favorite addition to your blog! So pretty 😍💞

    ReplyDelete