Monday 20 July 2015

Banner bling - DIY

Today's DIY project follows my usual penchant for creating easy, no fuss and effective interior styling's. Wall banners are a brilliant way of adding bling to your wall using colour and personality. Creating your own banner means personalising to whatever style suits your kidlets.This is why we are creating one today and us a bonus there's no sewing required.

 Here's what you'll need:

  • Dowel - I picked up a  metre length stick from Bunnings for around $3 which was enough for making 3 banners.
  • Calico - a metres length. This the material of my choice however there are a few options that would be suitable.
  • Buttons - these will be used for the feature design on my banner. Purchased from e-bay.
  • Pom-pom string - my border of choice, purchased from Lincraft.
  • String or ribbon - to use for hanging.
  • Pencil or craft chalk - for marking out lines.
  • Scissors
  • Stanley Knife
  • Craft glue

 
 
Here's what to do:

Step 1 - Mark and cut out cloth to the banner size of your choice allowing for a 3cm space at the top to wrap around the dowel. My banner size is 15cm x 20cm.


Step 2 - Use the cloth cut-out to measure the length of dowel you require. Allow for 2cm overhang on either end of the banner. Cut with stanley knife.

 

Step 3 - Create your banner design. I am using wooden patterned buttons in the shape of a heart as a feature. These are glued on using craft glue. Leave to dry before completing step four.

 

Step 4 - Glue the 3cm overhang of the banner to the dowel at the top.

 

Step 5 - Measure the length of the Pom-pom string you require, cut and glue using craft glue. Leave to dry.

 

Step 6 - Measure the length of string your require for hanging your banner by doubling the length of the dowel you are using. Wrap string around twice on either end and tie together in a knot at the back.

Step 7 - Hang your banner in a place where it can bring a touch of bling to a much needed wall space!

Here's how it turned out!!!



I love this hanging in my little girl's room.



Not to be left out (and rightly so) my four year old son asked where his banner was. Here's what we whipped up for him using a design of his choice.

 

Inspired by my post??? I would love to see your own banner creations tag me on instagram.

You can WIN one of these two banners for your self. See my instagram post for details for how to win via @shelladores.

I welcome any questions and comments. Thank you!

See you next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment